Muddled Musings

Saturday, November 11, 2006

lost in translation.

Oh dear. Please, if you are learning another language, learn the proper expressions for l'amour, or you can get yourself into a lot of trouble. For example, saying "Je veux te baraisser" when you want to give someone a hug and a peck on the cheek is fine if you are from France. However, I am in Quebec, where this phrase is a derogatory way to say, quite bluntly, "I want to have sex with you." Another one that got me in trouble lately is, "J'ai passe une bonne journee avec toi." I thought this meant an innocent "I had a good day with you." My boyfriend was quick to correct me, since it means I enjoyed having sex all day. I hope this isn't too blunt of a blog; but these mistakes are some of the most important discoveries I have made lately, since they may contribute to some of my difficulties in this culture :)

(Oh yeah-- and if I hadn't mentioned it before and you didn't catch on from this blog-- I have found a Quebecois guy: Dominique (a.k.a. Mr. Videotron, my telephone technician from last month's blog...). There. It is officially out in the open.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bronton said...

Who cares if it's blunt? Who do you think is reading this? Blessed Mary, Ever Virgin? You know how I enjoy a nice crass story from time to time. Seriously, though, that's hilarious.

Take a few words from Cole Porter:
So though I'm not a great romancer,
I know that I'm bound to answer when you propose.
Anything Goes!

3:50 a.m.  
Blogger Kunnari said...

Brian... Mary could be reading this... so beware.

Ann congrats! Now you need to give lessons to Sara G. so she'll hook up with that guy from Tim's who kept asking her out this summer.

7:37 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

you're right! we do have alot of catching up to do!!!

2:44 a.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

ps: i recently told someone i was horny when i really meat that it was warm in the bus and i was getting hot... :S

2:45 a.m.  
Blogger Unknown said...

ahh, those colloquial sayings, they'll get you every time.
I can't believe how skanky you are, saying those things to people. ;)

Congrats on the boyfriend - have a picture?

9:21 a.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

yes, you shouodl publish a picture. we should talk. i miss you!

2:31 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

yeah, ann, why don't you post a picture of him? huh? i mean, it's not risque at all! ... let's see what everyone else's reaction is! :)

6:27 p.m.  
Blogger Hannah said...

Ann, thanks for sharing these bits of wisdom so we can all...learn...I mean laugh.

I am having enough trouble with English to English this week, as the junior high band thought I was asking them to use "terrorist" dynamics. (I really said "terraced" dynamics...like the levels in fields. Apparently the don't do that here except in landscaping, so they didn't know what I was talking about).

7:49 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

ann, have you seen the charming picture of you on my blog? scroll down...

10:45 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home