Muddled Musings

Friday, October 13, 2006

killing childhood.

Oops. My neighbour boy came over to play with me. He excitedly told me all about his Halloween costume. Then he asked me what I was going to be. I told him I was too old to go trick-or-treating. His eyes got really big and he said, "You can get too old for treat-or-treating?" His face had a look of fear, and he tentatively asked, "How old do you have to stop?" I said 12 years old. He became very quiet and a sad look came over him as he thought about only having 5 more years to trick-or-treat. You learn a lot of hard lessons as you grow up.

Also, today I got another number from a random Quebecois boy who wanted to know where he could buy shoes (we were standing beside the mall, idiot). This number-asking is irritating. I can't figure out why this is happening! If I could, I would change! Is it because I'm a country girl in the city? Is it because I'm an anglophone in a francophone culture? Maybe I'll shave my head.

Oh! And one more thing (for people who care about politics): I went to hear Gilles Duceppe speak (for you Americans...he is the leader of the Bloc Quebecois, the separatist party). It was a wonderful Harper-Bash on Harper pulling out of the Kyoto Protocol...but even if I agreed with him, I felt a little out of place when he began also bashing Ontario and then concluded that the only way to solve any of our problems is for them to separate from Canada. Please don't ever tell my grandpa that I went-- I'll be disinherited from his will.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rachel:) said...

Hey Ann,
too bad you killed childhood today. But please don't shave your head! i would miss you with hair. Do you give out the number for the a church? That is what i always give out, when people ask for mine. I think maybe some are just are more fwd. Anwyaz, have a good day!

4:53 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

traitor!
:)

i think you need to stop being so nice, polite, and smiley. you're too nice. boys like to try to pick up girls who look nice. or naive?

love, sara

7:15 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

Ann--
you should check out my post from October 7 AND the comments. You'll get a good laugh out of it, I think...

10:51 a.m.  
Blogger Kunnari said...

in some culutres shaved heads are very attractive so I don't know if that would quell the onslaught. so covering yourself in a burka might work, but then a whole another section of the population would be after you... becoming a nun might do the trick, but then you'd have to switch faiths and that is just too much...so just be yourself and see how much free stuff you can get out of the bargain. some people dream of what you are experience so be flattered and politely turn them down. a woman who fears the lord is greatly to be praised!

9:13 a.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

ann-for the record-i didn't get a comment on my blog about beer from you. you mentioned it in our phone conversation yesterday so i looked for it, and can't find it!

2:27 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home