Muddled Musings

Friday, June 09, 2006

hippie heaven.

Roncesvalles-- a neighbourhood on the west end of Toronto. My new home for 10 weeks. Fairtrade coffee shops, organic food, thrift stores, 75 different languages-- and many conversations with starving artists and film-directors (the neighbourhood consists basically of right-brained people). mmmmm...hippie heaven.

And also hmmmmm...the church I am living in also hosts a Healing Center, in which tarot cards and hypnosis are used. It's the first church to have a legalized same-sex marriage in North America and the only church to have a community service with the Muslim Church directly after 9/11 in North America (yes, I am living in a fairly well-known church. It shows up in the news. A lot.).

The theology is much more liberal than I am used to. Sometimes I wonder what happened to Christ here. The church has a phenomenal outreach to the poor (street peeps) and the outcast (gay community). The church has formed a phenomenal community-- people from all ages, socio-economic classes, ethnicities, and sexual orientations are in and out of here all the time. This church has so much of what a church MUST be. But...it seems to me like it is a humanisitic approach, as shown when in church the pastor says, "This house (the church) does not belong to me, to the United Church of Canada, to Toronto, or to the government-- this church belongs to you." I thought it belonged to God. Social justice without Christ...that means full reliance on humans. A scary thought. We haven't been doing that great at doing good since the Fall- I'm pretty sure we're not getting better.

Please pray for me as I lead 3 staff members and 330 youth throughout the summer in an environment that requires a lot of discerning....Soli Deo Gloria...

7 Comments:

Blogger Amanda said...

i'm praying for you, ann! for a clear head and lots of patience.
don't work yourself too hard. take advantage of the joys of hippieville...
could you email me your phone number, so i could call you sometime?

10:07 p.m.  
Blogger Carolyn said...

wow, ann, sounds intense. but you're strong...i'll be thinking of you...

12:20 a.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

ann- yes, we definately do need to get together in TO sometime! your suggestion of this weekend sound good to me. i can't wait to visit you in hippieville! i'll be in touch--
sara

4:40 p.m.  
Blogger flurp-boink said...

yikes buddy. Be strong.

1:54 p.m.  
Blogger Josh said...

wow. you got my prayers, too. i'll try to email sometime. what's your non-Dordt one?

5:00 a.m.  
Blogger Justine Ann said...

Oh ann...
i miss you. I really want to cross paths sometime in the future.

your experiences sound amazing to me and your thoughts resonated like crazy. My church here is a lot more liberal than most crc churches and has a more individualistic/humanistic approach. It is also very community/justice oriented. It's so hard to br the one to point out the faults when the church has so many good things going for it (social justice baby). but yes, the church is the Lord's and if it, like everything else, becomes trapped in OUR power/control and not God's... what are we going to do?

hang in there,
i will be praying for you.

peace, blessings and all the best in your hippie heaven i have just coveted. :)

8:39 p.m.  
Blogger AC said...

I will definitely pray for you Ann Renee Andree. That seems to be a spiritually depressing place.

11:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home