Muddled Musings

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

he wore two hats.

There was this man on the bus today. He wore two hats. One was a blue khaki bandana. The other looked like he skinned his neighbour's cat. His plaid coat was overflowing with paper towels. He was carrying Christmas lights. And he sat by himself at the front of the bus.

It was rush hour, so the bus was crammed with people. There were no seats left, except the one beside him. Once, a lady sat down beside him. But after a few furtive glances at his tobacco-stained hands stuffing his pipe, she quickly got up and moved.

My heart hurts when I see people fall through the cracks of society and no one offers them dignity to help them climb out of their rut. "They" are people too.

7 Comments:

Blogger Tom S said...

One thing I've always greatly respected about you is that you seem able to see the humanity of even the most damaged people. I wish I could do the same, yet have grown a little too cynical and hard somewhere along the way...

2:15 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

you see the most interesting people in your life. i'm slightly jealous. i have yet to get myself to the point where i could invite some strange looking person to a cup of coffee... uncertainty of their reaction and the fear that they will want to talk for hours about how miserable their lives are holds me back. eeegh. i read what i just wrote and feel somewhat ashamed...

2:12 a.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

you have such a huge heart my dear. It hurts to see people who are hurtting but no one helps. I miss you!

10:22 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

ann! we forgot to talk about evangelizing!!

3:01 p.m.  
Blogger Mike E said...

True Story... Have you read "Under the Overpass" yet. It is a great book by Mike Y. Read it and have an awesome week.

6:16 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd sit by him.

- Carmela

(For some reason your page won't let me comment normally.)

5:43 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

i still miss you

8:21 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home