Muddled Musings

Saturday, August 11, 2007

summer days...

It is 3 months to the day since I've last logged on. Sorry, Sara! (And of all people...you even lived 5 blocks away from me all summer :) )

I've been living out of a suitcase in a Salvation Army Church in Toronto, directing a mission site for 70 teenagers weekly. I've been living simply: 1 shower/week, a suitcase and minimal sleep on an air mattress. And I still feel like I have so much. Talking with a homeless friend who camps outside of a street church has taught me that an air mattress is much comfier than concrete. I have guilt for my ungrateful complaining that I am enduring Taco Tuesday for the 30th time in a row-- because at least I have food; that I have no place to call my own-- but I can lock my door without the worry of rape; that I haven't showered in 7 days-- but I can wear semi-clean clothes. I am living a comparatively luxurious life.

There was one major low to my summer: My first trip of the summer to Sam's Club (the oversized Wal-Mart). As I walked in the doors, the greeter cried, "Ann! It's good to see you again!"...and then a manager looked up, with recognition, saying "Ann! What have you been up to!" And another...and another. My question is this: HOW IN THE WORLD HAVE I BECOME A MUCH-LOVED CUSTOMER OF WAL-MART? I hate that corporation!! I suppose it's because my job forces me to shop at Sam's Club for 1 000$ worth of food on a weekly basis...but still. I felt like I was a hypocrite, preaching an Anti-WalMart Utopia, but I've obviously shaken hands with the devil.

For those of you who thought I died, I am alive and well. I am now moving to Toronto semi-permanently, transferring my bohemian life into Sara G.'s basement appartment. We even have basil plants to make a pesto dinner if ever anyone feels like visiting!

8 Comments:

Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

hey ann, about those basil plants... did i tell you that the day after you dropped them off i found thin little spider webs on them? and now they're not doing too well...lorraine has a much greener thumb than i, and she's been taking care of them while i'm gone, and she said the prospects aren't good...we might have to start over... sorry! we'll make due. i also learned that we can freeze cilantro and dry basil. hooray!

3:23 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

as long is it is just basil. i missed calling you this weekend, but i miss you lots! We will talk sooN!

2:13 p.m.  
Blogger Mela said...

Wow, sounds like an interesting life! I miss you.

5:18 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

basicly i am glad we are friends. thats all really.
do you have a new address?

8:15 a.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

ahem! i have no address!:)
just kidding, ironic though, i just sent something to your parents house for you!:) i hope you get it!:) i will send the new address soon!:)

4:52 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

i just re-read that note, that was a lot of smilies! I think i am prone to that, by mistake, i will try harder next time to not smile as much electronicly and to use puncuation in my sentances

4:53 p.m.  
Blogger Dane said...

Save the Pesto for next year! I hope to be up there studying at ICS by then. Assuming I finish my stupid Masters Thesis by then. And, when it comes to wal-devil, its the only place to get stuff in Sioux Center and it sucks but what can you do.

9:05 p.m.  
Blogger Loraine said...

Wal- mart is either a necessary evil or the lesser of two evils... I haven't decided which. Nevertheless, when people need food so badly, they're not thinking about politics. They just want a taco.

12:07 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home