Muddled Musings

Friday, April 27, 2007

No Breakthrough...

In my last blog, written earlier today, I talked about how I had a breakthrough in avoiding awkward pick-ups. Ironically, without leaving my appartment, I learned that I didn't learn at all.
I had a telephone call to sublet my appartement. Very normal. The guy asked if I was from France-- a wonderful compliment, but still normal, as I am obviously not from Quebec. End of conversation. Then, I checked my email, in which he had written that my accent was so sweet that he wanted to go out for coffee with me. Oh dear. I just found it ironic that I had thought I had successfully "Citified" myself, only to fail shortly thereafter. I guess I haven't learned after all.

10 Comments:

Blogger Rachel:) said...

you may need to buy yourself a wedding ring, i have found this to be mildy effective in desperate situations. While casualy on the phone call over your sholder "its under the table honey" This tends to be a good way of lying/acting your way out of awkwardness. But proves fatal when return contact is desired.

2:46 p.m.  
Blogger Dena said...

Ann, I empathize greatly with you! Everytime I think I've finally made myself a little less conspicuous as a foreign female, some random Egyptian guy comes along and ruins my optimism. Good luck with all of that and I hope all is well.

11:58 p.m.  
Blogger Hannah said...

Oh, Ann! Your stories make me laugh!

2:18 p.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

ann,
i just began to feel the same, like i had finally stopped feeling guilty about not nodding nicely to every person who passes me on the sidewalk (as we talked about)...and then i fall back into old habits. however, for face-to-face contact, i agree with rachel. when i was in egypt, a wedding ring worked quite effectively!

12:24 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

hehe! at least it wasn't some strange drunk man off the street. avoiding the weirdo's doesn't necessarily have to mean avoiding all contact whatsoever, you know... you can still be careful though.
take it easy amiga mia!

5:15 a.m.  
Blogger sara without an 'h' said...

hey ann, if you're bored, you should post something new...
:)

9:59 a.m.  
Blogger Jonathan said...

Love your posts anne.

Thanks for putting the male subspecies in their place.

Jon

12:02 p.m.  
Blogger Rachel:) said...

ann, all i have to say is that i have a date on monday, you may want to call and find out the details!:)

6:59 a.m.  
Blogger Jihad Hernandez said...

Hmmm.

I have seriously never had that problem.

7:10 p.m.  
Blogger Justine Ann said...

you're so funny my friend!r

8:25 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home