Muddled Musings

Wednesday, September 01, 2010

something beautiful.

Tonight I am eating a sacred meal. Most of the ingredients come from the gardens of two men that I've known for years. One of these men gave me his very first tomato of the season-- the crowning glory of any gardener. He's been eyeing it for weeks, updating me on the status of this first fruit. The other man literally depends on his garden for survival; yet, he's shared more vegetables than I can eat this week. If it weren't for them, I would probably be eating Kraft Dinner tonight. I am honestly overwhelmed by these gifts.

Ironically, both of these men have had several bouts of homelessness. We usually think of giving food to the homeless, not of receiving food from them. I think I've just tasted something beautiful.

2 Comments:

Blogger Hannah said...

I had the strange idea to check your blog even though you hadn't updated in years. Looks like you updated yesterday, though. Thank you for the story.

8:43 p.m.  
Blogger Mela said...

Ann, I still remember the food we ate last time I saw you (couple years ago already!) that came from your garden. Gardens are amazing things!

3:01 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home