Muddled Musings

Saturday, February 23, 2008

another subway man.

Last week, a man who was under the influence came up to me and commented on my female anatomy. I told firmly told him that was inappropriate and walked away. (At which point, he told me to f-off). Oh well.

The next day, I saw a strangely vacant seat on the subway and sat down. I realized why the seat was vacant when a severely sickening stench wafted my way. The man next to me had awful breath (the smell of rotting that comes from too many years of drug use) and had begun breathing quicker and quicker while giving me The Stare. My gut told me: you don't know this guy's story, his mental health issues, if he currently has drugs in his system, etc... get off the subway and take the next train. So I did.

Meeting men in public who aren't conforming to societal norms (ie. stalkers, stare-ers and gawkers) feels somewhat commonplace these days, given that I'm a female working at a male shelter...and I think I am finally learning how to set boundaries, confront and walk away!!

6 Comments:

Blogger Dunkleburger said...

hello Ann
I'm glad you're still safe

7:51 p.m.  
Blogger Mela said...

hmm... I'm having second thoughts about living in those parts now, Ann.

8:35 p.m.  
Blogger Chantale said...

ann, be safe....do you want me to pick you up some mace. :) love you!!!

8:39 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda said...

good for you! :)

12:03 a.m.  
Blogger Miss Frizzle said...

Ann,
You are growing soo much! YAY!! I was reading the first part of your blog post and before i got to the end, i thought, wow, ann is really starting set good boundries, even with strangers! Way to go!

3:24 p.m.  
Blogger Dane said...

I can always count on you to make me feel better about posting so little :)

Update?!?

Have strangers stopped oddly interrupting your daily life?

I need more stories from people living in more populated areas; i miss the crazy people!

9:32 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home